Monday, February 15, 2010

Module 5 - Percent Hispanic Population In South Florida w/ Illustrator

Conceptually, this was a very straight forward lab.  It did create the emphasis on map design.  But this took me so much time.  But I am finally almost satisfied with the result.  I still need to add a couple things that I think will make the map product pop a little better. 

So did I get to this map.
Frame and Neat  Line
These are minimized to define the extent and nothing more.
Mapped Area
This was chosen for us so we did not have much choice there.  However, we had a broad license to create the map product you see here.
Color Scheme
In this type of map, color range should track population.  In this case the lightest color corresponds with lowest population density.  Similarly, the darkest color denotes the highest population density.

I found a color I liked then used a corresponding color scheme. It seemed to work so I left it that way.

       Challenge - I could not figure out how to link the legend to the counties so I had to tint each box in the legend and each corresponding county.  I need to go back and replay the flash demo on google since there must me an easier to accomplish this task.
 
Map element positions
The map is intentionally "bottom heavy" since there have been several studies that show people are more comfortable with this approach than "top heavy".  The speculation for this is that people are visually aware of gravity and that is why this approach is better.

       Challenge.  Moving, resizing, rescaling... pretty much everything in Adobe Illustrator.  There is a lot to learn in a short time.

Font Size
Font sizes are varied based on peceived importance.  Like so much of this process, even this can be somewhat subjective.


2 comments:

  1. Great summary Andy! As far I as know, that is the only way to symbolize the legend. Remember this a graphics program, so the layers are not linked. Remember to reserve blue for water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, as long as whatever layers you need to work with are unlocked...go to select (on the top tool bar. there you should find a select by fill color (there are others as well) - as long as the colors are the same initially - you should be able to select both the legend box and the shapes you want and change all at once regardless of what layer they are on. watch your layers box - they will highlight on the right of the layer as to which are selected - this will also help to make sure you only get the ones you want.

    ReplyDelete