Monday, February 8, 2010

Week 4 - The Middle Florida Keys


This was an interesting lab.  For my own convenience, I down loaded the 30 day free license from Adobe. 

The objective was to present the data in a cohesive, well-organized map that emphasizes good map design and organization.  Like many others in my class, I had much to learn with Adobe Illustrator as a new tool.  Fortunately, Adobe has several video tutorials that really shortened my learning curve.  I thank the Trisha for pointing some of them out. 

I learned so many new tricks doing this lab.  My two favorites are the Point_Text_Scaling and the text that automatically travels along an existing line.  These were really slick.  Many of the other functions were actually quite similar to the less robust functions found in Microsoft products.

It is interesting to look at the cartographic components and compare them with the professional products from organizations like the USGS and NGA.  As a result of this course, I am gaining more repect for that aspect of map construction. 

2 comments:

  1. Font size is a little large for some of the longer titles...leader lines may have helped squeeze some of those in. Glad you are "getting" Adobe and hope you are learning a lot! Great map.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Trisha about the font size...maybe using some different fonts/colors might help. Overall very nice job!

    ReplyDelete