Saturday, March 27, 2010

Isohyet Precipitation Lines

This was another fun map. 

So since I had the same printer output issues noted on our discussion page I took another tack.  I selected a range of colors for the different rain levels.  In this case the colors chosen red for 70+ inches, purple for 60 inches etc.  It was actually very useful because the zones practically jumped off the page. 

Then I used the pencil tool to draw the lines and used an iterative approach to define the line  locations.  The first pass was the rough draft. Then subsequent iterations, I studied the location of the rain volumes and worked to get the proportional distances closer.  This meant, adding and deleting points on the isohyet lines.

I can see where one could get confused with which side of the line represents the isohyet line.  Consistency is key here. You will see that the volumes are generally above or inside the isohyet line.

I look forward to seeing your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment